Sunday 11 February 2018

Short velvet skirt from a Free pattern


I finally got round to making the Free Toile Pattern 1.1 which I downloaded absolutely ages ago. you can find it here: https://sewingtidbits.com/2015/03/20/open-skirt-project-final-sample-in-floral/

 However, I did not want a pencil skirt as such. I find them too inhibiting so I cut about 3 inches or so off the bottom - when you download the pattern there is a line here for the hem but I wanted this a bit shorter so thats where I cut it to. I made slight high low sides, which need a tidy up since I still have a few threads showing, by bagging out the hem and then sewing a the stitch line a good few cm above where the slits end. That also reinforces the top of the spits.

I had an absolute nightmare with the zip. I bought a new zip from Jaycotts in a January sale which I used and the first time I put this on the zip just broke so then I had to unpick the petersham ribbon and redo the zip with a zip I got off ebay.

Yes, I eliminated the waistband and used a  scrap of bright pink petersham ribbon given to me by my Mum and she salvedged this from a pair of pyjamas she bought from Sainsbury where it was tied round the pyjamas as a decoration so a real bargain bit of petersham ribbon this.

This is actually an open ended zip but since I sewed over the end I hope its going to work ok because I really do not want to have to redo this yet again. Its a shame because the first zip was perfect and I find when I repair things they are never as good. No way round that though because as I said the Jaycotts zip broke. This is also the second project where one of Jaycots zips has broken before I even get to wear the thing so I will not be buying any more from them!



The front has no darts since I found my tummy, which sticks out a bit was more comfortable without them and the skirt seems to fit better. I have no idea what size I made since the sizes are not on thevpattern sheets and I cannot find the instructions but since I never made the actual pattern that did not matter. I prnted this a couple ofears ago.

To choose a size I measured the pattern on an existing skirt which I tend to find more reliable than going by the supposed end results anyway. Its became my recent way of getting the right size since I kept making things too big by relying on the pattern directions.

Mind you this is a little tight. Possibly due to me overlocking the side seams before sewing normally so making it a size smaller and also the fabric is thick velvet upholstery fabric so perhaps I should have made a bigger size. Still its a first attempt and I intend to make more.

The back is not right as you can see. I think I need longer darts or some kind of adjustment.

Since I never normally tuck in my tops like here - this was just for the photos- this should be covered by whatever I am wearing on top so I am not too worried and will try to sort this on version two.

Well yet another free internet pattern which is well worth downloading. I may add pockets and make it more A-line on version two. I definitely need to try going up a size although for V2 I am actually going to use a lighter weight canvas so I may yet need this size. I never considered the fact the thick fabric could impact on sizing till now. Well Its a bit tight to wear for work which is what I actually made it for but right now I am considerably fatter than usual since I put on weight over Christmas. Hopefully I will eventually revert to normal. Probably I need to start to consider exercise instead of relying on just losing weight without trying!

 


So this is OK for a muslin for my free pattern. I think its still a little long but probably for work thats OK. I never normally wear skirts at work so I am trying out something new here. Well as everyone knows, once you start to sew all the time for a blog, which is what has happened here, then you end up making things you normally would not buy.
Why? Well simply puy it makes you adventurous and also for people like me - there are lots out there I am sure- who have  a very limited clothing budget it means suddenly you can make something cheaper than you would buy. You may find a scrap of curtain fabric, for example like I have here, or re-fashions somethng froma charity shop. I find buying a larger size of something from a charity shop that is voluminous gives me some cheap and very nice fabric sometimes.


Though if you buy all your fabric full price then I do see it can work out very expensive as was pointed out here by Sewing a La Carte

http://www.sewingalacarte.nl/2017/12/price-ticket-homemade-clothes-versus-rtw-clothes/

Gneerally my fabric is bought on the cheap. Remnants here and ebay auctions there and I seem to get some good bargains although I do veery now and then splash out on some seriously nice fullprice fabric.

 Anyway thats what I have been up to this week. Now I still have loads of hand sewing to do to get round to finishing my green leather jacket which will hopefully be coming to the blog sometime soon.

Thanks for reading 
Bracken


No comments:

Post a Comment