Saturday 20 January 2018

Burda Easy Peplum jacket in faux leather

To go with last weeks skirt here:
http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/first-project-of-2018-drak-green-faux.html
Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 10.56.01 AM
https://doctortdesigns.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/screen-shot-2017-08-18-at-10-55-55-am.png?w=410&h=&zoom=2 I decided to use my faux leather for this peplum jacket from Burda Easy autumn/winter 2017. I decided to buy this magazine despite it being unavailable in English or even in the UK other than off ebay.

I bought it from a German seller so I am trying to fathom out the instructions which lucky for me are the feature in the magazine so lots of useful pictures to help me.

I read about Burda Easy autumn/winter 2017 on DrT;s blog. I tend to read DrT because she gives great reviews of patterns and especially of Burda magazines. You can read about this magazine here:
https://doctortdesigns.com/2017/08/21/burda-easy-fallwinter-2017/


I tend to disagree with everything DrT likes and like everything she hates, but either way DrT gives a really good review of the next Burda magazine as well as reasonably regular udates on new patterns from the big 4.

I had some serious issues with this pattern. I think probably most of them were down to me trying to cheat with adding seam allowances so instead of using the Tools by Hollie tool which I won via the lovely The Monthly Stitch folk with this outfit here:
https://themonthlystitch.wordpress.com/2017/04/27/brights/

I decided to try and take a short cut and just estimate all around the pattern. Bad idea! Never do this.

I have had to recut half of this ( luckily still have loads of this faux leather) and then adjust and resew half of the seams and even then the sleeve seams and in fact most of the seams do not quite line up despite my fiddling with this for ages. Its pretty much a disaster in fact tho will be wearable but not as good as I think it could have been. Also if I make a second one of these I want to use a larger size back piece but keep the front as it is. I am finding it somewhat "snug" to say the least. That is partly down to my bodging to try ad get it to work. The moral here: never cut out anything when you are tired at the end of the day and take the time to use the right tools for the job instead of trying the "gestimate" because it simply does not work and I should by now know better!

I had serious issues with the sleeves:
This is the right sleeve:


But the left sleeve is OK! 
This is the good left shoulder/ sleeve

So I decided to measure both and see what I had done differently. The right shoulder was slighly longer so I unpicked and restitched then redid the sleeve which was not easy having sewed this by overlocker so there was nothing left to cut off and I had to be very careful to not make it too much smaller. Well its a tight fit but it wll hopefully wear in. Its been a learning curve this one.

This is after I fixed it.



So I have yet to put the zip into this because I have spent so long adjusting things to try to
correct my bad cutting out. Hopefully it will eventually work and if possible this jacket will not becme yet another UFO. Incidentally ALL my UFOs seem to be jackets or coats!

I have no help today since my other half has gone out so I cannot take photos of this on me so I hope you can see on Harriet how its coming together.














The peplum lining looks a bit like a puffball skirt here because it needs to be hand sewed to the waistline
So to finish this all I need to do really is to attach the inside peplum to the waistband where as you can see when its on Harriet that it is hanging down and to hand stitch in the wrist linings as well as add a zip and do the facings but its coming together.


 

Hopefully once finished it will look ok and I will post the finished article later. I am just hoping it will fit since I thought it a bit tight when I tried it on as I already said!
Thanks for reading
Bracken





No comments:

Post a Comment