Thursday 10 May 2018

New fashion top from a costume pattern, #MMM18 day 10


 I bought the fabric I made this top from back in July last year when I was given some money for my birthday. Its a very cheap poly cotton from an Ebay seller. It cost me about £4 a meter including postage and I bought 2 meters. This is a the blue design. I also bought the red but have yet to use that. Its still on Ebay but the price has gone up. This was sold in July as Halloween fabric!

I used a costume pattern for the top which has a generic "Carmen" or gypsy top. There are loads of costume patterns available with this kind of design of top. They are often very cheap when the sellers have a sale. This was half price or less so about £2-3. Compared with a fashion pattern for the same design of top, costume patterns are usually a bit cheaper. You have to see what the drawing is rather than look at the packet the pattern comes in. The elastic casing is just white satin ribbon which I bought as a job lot somewhere and until now could not find a use for. I like it better than using black for a summer top regardless of the fabric being skulls.

This was a very quick make with the edges being just rolled on the overlocker - which worked fine on this woven despite it playing up n the white top I made! You can read about that disaster here: http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/lindy-petal-skirt-white-lace-trimmed.html

Anyway bearing in mind this style of top is currently around on the high street for about £20-£28, I reckon its a great success. Perhaps I should stick with easy makes😊.

Seriously, I am not going to do that. I have a bit of FBA to sort out soon else I will not be making any more fitted clothes, but its tempting to just make easy stuff. I do need to continue to challenge myself.

I wore it with my well worn wide leg trousers ( again!). Must make some new trousers.

http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/working-wardrobe-1.html

Thanks for reading 
Bracken


No comments:

Post a Comment