Saturday 30 September 2017

Wrap Trousers 11/2016 #106


 

I decided to make yet another item form the Burda 11/2016 magazine.
No idea why but its my go-to mag for just about everything it seems.
I cut these out back in January and it took absolutely ages to work out what was going on with them. In the end I got up at 3am because I could not sleep cos it was bugging me why they just would not work. They kept going together all twisted. Well, as usual the Burda instructions are wrong.

Well its because the line drawing is wrong!

Or at least by missing out the outside back yoke I made these work.

So maybe its me but I reckon the line drawing is wrong.

Who knows?


Burda gets you to do the darts, front pleats and then the inside leg seams. Well fine to here but then I just could not work out the waistband. I unpicked the outside legs must have been 4 times over a period of several months and kept just giving up and making something else.

So there I am at 03:00 and I cannot sleep and I have light-bulb moment when it hits me!
 If you miss out the back yoke, but still use the inside part, you have a facing for the back. So my trousers have a lovely wrap-over front with yoke and inside facing and a plain back (no yoke) and inner facing. 
Back with no yoke but with inner facing
It means you have 2 extra bits cut out that form the two halves of the outer back yoke as shown in line drawings that actually you do not need.

The pattern also says to use an invisible zip. That was my original excuse not to finish them, back in January, because I did not have one. Then I bought 3 but ended up using them for these trousers I made.
http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/navy-blue-work-trousers-from-burda-7122.html
So still I did not get round the finishing these.
But summer is over and its starting to feel cold and my trousers made using these zips are not warm enough so I need to finish these and I decided stuff it I will finish them and use a normal zip. Its actually recycled from something years ago but is a perfectly good zip despite being second hand.

Lapped side zip
Side zip
And suddenly everything lines up, the legs are not twisted and these trousers are not only finished but they are very usual and I love wearing them. The massive pockets are a dream for slouching around and for keys, phone etc. So they are definitely not quite like the Burda pattern but they do work.

 


These are lovely warm, slouchy, but smart trousers,  but I did feel they were a little OTT when I wore them to work. Someone did comment on them and I would rather be ordinary at work. So I think these will be really nice weekend trousers despite being made from suiting which normally I would avoid for my days off.

Still that's the point of making your own clothes.

You change the rules and make it fun.


Thanks for visiting my blog,
Bracken










.

No comments:

Post a Comment